Monday, May 16, 2005

A new level of geekhood!

I have always been proud of my geeky nature and tendencies, but this past weekend I surprised even myself. I attended a fluid mechanics conference and enjoyed the experience.

Granted this conference in particular has extremely casual setting (you get fined if you wear a tie or if you use Prof. or Dr. before someone’s name), but I really surprised myself when I was able to follow a good deal of the presentations. Some of them still went well over my head, but that is to be expected. I also enjoyed the opportunity to see what other fluids researchers in the area are working on and what techniques they are using to overcome common problems.

To cap it all off, a great deal of ping pong was also played over the weekend. However, this doesn’t add to the geekiness as the intensity and speed of the games exceeded “geeky” class and went into “sport” class. One guy had to shower after our match.

I wonder what the next step will be.

2 Comments:

At 5/16/2005 4:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew... I think you're leaving something out... the much-lamented cancellation of the annual shuffleboard match? Yeah, you're still a big geek. Geeks who embrace their geekiness are no less geeks, they're just happier people!

 
At 5/16/2005 4:59 p.m., Blogger Andrew said...

I came from Waterloo; I'll never forget my geeky grassroots. For the record I was quite happy with the shuffleboard cancellation. It allowed for more ping pong after taking cool pictures of the rain/fog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home